Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthdays can be hard

Pictures will come later, but I just had to get this story out there... it was so funny.
Today was Josiah and Jonah's birthdays. They have the same birthday, born two years apart and two minutes from the same birth time, amazing, I know. But not so impressive to the younger brother who has to sit back and watch everyone congratulate and give gifts to both his big brothers at the same time, over and over on the same day and nothing be about him. He really was good all day. I should have expected him to be pretty tired of it by night time, but this is when I really should have just had the video tape rolling. We took the boys to dinner for Mexican tonight, their favorite. Afterwards, we came home, got out the ice cream cake and put the candles on it. There was a big discussion over who would light them, who would blow them out first, how many candles we needed, etc. Finally we got all 8 candles lit for Josiah to blow out, we sang the birthday song to him and he leaned over to blow when little T leaned over too and began to help him blow. Josiah was pretty upset but he held it together. We explained to T that he was not to help with the blowing of the candles. So, we then replaced six candles on for Jonah to blow, lit them, sang the birthday song to him, he leans over to blow, and up out of nowhere, comes T as fast as he can, blowing those candles out before Jonah had a chance to blink. He was smooth and fast. All I could do was laugh! Jonah was wailing! Titus started wailing after Lance grabbed him! It was melt down and heart break city. After it was all over, we let Jonah blow the candles out AGAIN and everybody had a piece of cake, me with two babies (E and T) on my lap trying to get the spoon to my mouth with out E getting it on his head. It was beautiful! Oh yeah, all this after we spent the evening spilling three cups of water at the restaurant, Titus' chair falling backward to the floor while he hung on to the table and Eli screaming for more food. Whew, is it over yet? Nope, the baby is crying... got to go!

3 comments:

McKids said...

Why is it on those days that you have everything planned to be fun and memorable for those special birthdays, that everything falls apart in your lap? I guess our last experience of birthday meltdown was "F"s birthday this year. She cried all day. What ever possesses these little miracles to through a kink in the perfect days we have planned?

Jenn

b2bomber said...

Happy Birthday Boys. I can't believe they are 8 and 6. It seems like yesterday we met and they were having their 3 and 1st birthdays.

I love the armpit picture of E. Emma does that too and always has. Too funny.

Erin said...

Happy birthday J and J! Sounds like you guys had a fun (and interesting) day. I thought about you all day yesterday and then forgot to email. So Happy Birthday (a day late) :)