Thursday, December 03, 2009

Richard's Coffee Shop

I wish I had a picture to go with this entry. The boys and I were driving through Mooresville, when we saw a group of men standing outside an establishment on Main St. I looked closer and saw the sign "Richard's Coffee Shop" and then something about a military museum. I told the boys, this is what home school is all about, let's check it out. We love to be detectives and find new things. So, we parked and went around the sidewalk to the doorway. There were so many men that it was standing room only and someone was speaking. I asked someone at the door what was happening. He explained that every Thursday morning is Veteran's day where they serve free coffee and donuts to the veterans of all branches. These men come regularly for comaraderie and some have even found fellow comrades that they haven't seen since WWII. We met many veterans who were excited to see my four little boys and tell them some stories! One in particular, Mr. Herb Knox, had an amazing story of heroism that you can find on this website: http://www.homeofheroes.com/members/02_DSC/citatons/03_wwii-dsc/army_k.html
He didn't tell us the story, but some of the others there told us we needed to meet this man, who is a wonderful man and then they proceeded to tell us his story... Mr. Knox was in a tank, it was hit by German soldiers, his comrades were injured, he held off the Germans with a .45 by himself and then got his injured comrades to safety. Mr. Knox explained that he got out of the military after the war and has enjoyed a full life and is spending lots of time with his two grandchildren.

It was a really rich history experience with living history and memoirs. I recommend this to all who are interested in touching a part of time and history of our country that has brought us to where we are now. The coffee shop is beginning to do educational classes each week and every Thursday is veteran's day where you can meet these brave and valiant men.

Richard's Coffee Shop
Dedicated to Honoring America's Veterans and Active Duty Military Personnel
128 S. Main St.
Mooresville, NC 28115
704-663-0488
www.welcomehomeveteran.org
welcomevets@gmail.com

1 comment:

Kit said...

that's awesome sharon! so important for our kids to know! what a great mama you are <3