
We said goodbye to my Papaw this week. I think what I will miss the most are his words. He always said, "Hey Baby" everytime I saw him or talked to him. Yes, he called everyone "baby" but it was just as genuine when he said it to me as if it were only for me. When he got moved into the Hospice house, I had to go see him as soon as I could, because I could not miss hearing him say it one more time. I got to hear it several more times as we had a few extra weeks with him. My fondest memories are from when I was really small. His investments in my early years are what connected us through out, I believe. I remember going to visit him and mamaw in Tennessee. We loved being at their house. We stayed out of the way when they were feeling ornery (hehe) by playing on the big wooden porch and counting the cars of the super long trains as they would go by (over 100 cars). But Papaw always had time to pick me up and sing me a song while he danced with me. He also gave each of us a quarter and a pack of Dentyne Speariment gum when we were leaving. We each chewed our whole pack on the long drive back home. It wasn't the stuff that he gave us that matter but that he thought to give us something of his to take home with us. When they visited us, I remember going to school on the day that they were leaving and crying in class because I knew they wouldn't be there when I got home that afternoon. And I missed them so much! I realized the other day that my papaw spoke my love language, much like my dad does. It's words of affirmation. He always had a nickname or a sweet name to call me, always told me I looked pretty and I always felt like I could do nothing wrong in his eyes. I believe it's unconditional love. And I realized that I will see and hear him again, through my children and others around me. At the funeral, when the Veteran was saluting the coffin and saying farewell to his comrade and fallen soldier, I saw, in my mind, Papaw as a young man, running with a skip in his step and I knew, that is now the image of my Papaw where he is in eternity. He is no longer bound by that body that could go no more, but he is free to run, jump, dance and sing. I thank the Lord for His vision that gives us peace and His promises of eternity that give us hope! And I thank Him for my Papaw, who showed me God through his unconditional love and support.
2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that about your Papaw, but how wonderful that you had such an appreciation of him while he was alive. He sounds like a special man, and I know you'll miss him terribly. Thanks for sharing those sweet memories, I'll be thinking of you guy...Love~Shannon
Hi Sharon, what a beautiful tribute to Dad and Mom. I know they loved you very much. You are such a special young woman with a beautiful family. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for the funeral, but I know Dad understands. Take care.
Love,
Aunt Brenda
Post a Comment